If you’re a leader, you know that the mid-point of the year is also that time when you will have to meet with your manager and submit to a mid-year performance review.
My own review will take place in a couple of weeks. In my experience, I find that some leaders dread these meetings. Others see them as a great opportunity to showcase their accomplishments and identify areas of further development.
I have found that the key to a successful mid-year review meeting is preparation. For the past few years now, I’ve been posting a blog at the end of June encouraging leaders to conduct a mid-year gut check. I believe that it’s critical for us to take some time during the year to pause and reflect on our own leadership accountability.
In my book, The Leadership Contract Field Guide, I provide a series of questions for you to use to conduct a self-assessment. They also serve as an excellent way to prepare for your mid-year review meeting.
Don’t just scan these questions. Spend a good 15 minutes and really think about your answers.
- Have you been an accountable leader so far in 2018?
- In what specific ways did you step up and accept the challenges of leadership?
- What were some critical leadership decisions that you made? What was the impact of those decisions on your team and organization?
- What enduring value did you create for your key stakeholders? Did you make your team stronger? Have you built effective relationships with peers across the organization?
- What difficult tasks did you accept this past year? Did you demonstrate courage as a leader?
- Did you help strengthen the sense of community among the leaders in your organization?
- Looking at the next six months, what can you do to make you a truly accountable leader?
I would be really interested to hear about some of your personal insights. Feel free to reach out to me with your comments.
I wish you a great summer and hope you find meaningful time to relax, re-energize and reconnect with your family and friends. That’s exactly what I will be doing.
This blog also marks the beginning of a summer break from my gut check blogs. I will be back in September with more weekly gut check insights to help you become a more accountable leader!
This week’s Gut Check for Leaders asks: Are you ready for a mid-year leadership gut check?