Family Law Attorney
What is a Family Law Attorney?
Family Law Attorneys focus on issues that impact families such as divorce proceedings, adoptions, and child custody. Common tasks include drafting custody agreements, wills, prenuptial agreements, and other documents. These attorneys play a vital role in helping people navigate some of the more poignant periods of their lives, using vast legal expertise and extraordinary empathy.
Family Law has much to offer, and supporting clients in even the most difficult cases can be deeply rewarding. Attorneys practicing this type of law can represent clients in family court proceedings or in related negotiations. It remains a crucial legal specialty, covering issues core to a society’s culture and values.
- Bachelor’s degree in law
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an accredited law school
- State bar admission
- A minimum of 3+ years’ experience in family law
Family Law Attorney Essential Skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Efficient time management
- Critical thinking
- Multitasking abilities
- Skilled in negotiation, debate, and persuasion techniques
Family Law Attorney Roles & Responsibilities
- Provide representation for clients in court in legal cases as pertains to family law
- Uphold a steady schedule of hearings, court appearances, and conferences
- Attend trials and court proceedings
- Oversee and manage the legal issues that transpire between people who are members of the same family
- Advise staff on legal matters and interpret laws
- Interact routinely with caseworkers, supervisors, program directors and program administrators
- Supervise and direct mediation sessions, and offer effective legal advice
- Organize and record all official documents required to file cases
- Update clients regularly about their cases