What is a HR Manager?
Careers in Human Resource Management are a meaningful opportunity to help employees achieve their career goals while elevating a company’s productivity. As a senior role, those who excel are well-versed in business management and understand the ins and outs of employee relations.
Successful careers in Human Resource Management require a deep knowledge of every general HR function, including managing employee relationships, enforcing labor laws and company policy, and technical and administrative tasks. Often, these individuals are the arbiter of inter-employee conflicts, and conflict-resolution skills are a requirement to succeed in the role of an HR Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of related work experience
- Some positions require a master’s degree
HR Manager Essential Skills
- Leadership abilities
- Interpersonal skills
- Effective at conflict resolution
- Organizational skills
- Ability to make strong decisions
- In-depth knowledge of workplace laws and company policies
HR Manager Roles & Responsibilities
- Maximize and streamline work productivity
- Advise managers and employees about goals, company policies, and initiatives
- Act as a liaison between employees and upper management
- Oversee the recruitment, training, and employee on-boarding processes
- Solve and mediate staffing issues, including enacting disciplinary measures
- Plan and administer employee benefit programs and coordinate payroll
- Interview and hire employees
- Schedule employee leaves
- Administer benefits
- Enforce a company’s policies and values